Sunday, July 31, 2016

Big Rainbow

 This was the  fifth Sunday of the month so we had an early afternoon worship. I decided to go to the Caney and got into the water at happy Hollow at a little after four.  I missed my first two fish after about the second strip and then I finally managed to catch three Brown's that were about 10 inches each. I got back up at the steps at the end of the walk path at the dam  at about 530 and the water was still going down. I caught three Browns in the first 30 minutes with a white soft Hackel and then one small brown with a hares ear.  Then change back to a soft with a yellow neck and white Hackle.  I felt a pretty strong tug at the end of my line which was out about 35 feet I set the hook and started stripping, it didn't take but a couple of strips to realize this wasn't one of the regular fish.  I stripped him and about halfway to me and he came to the top of the water and at that moment I didn't think that my 5x tippet would hold.  I gave him line  when he would turn and then would strip back when he would come back towards me. After a couple of minutes I got him close enough to get him in the net, which was a relief. It is by far the biggest rainbow that I have caught that far away from the dam.  I caught a couple more smaller Browns on the hackle and then I went to a crackle back and caught maybe five or six more decent size rainbows, by this time it was starting to get dark so I headed to the house.  This was the most exciting day by far that I have had in several outings, I will try to post a pic of the rainbow.  Until next time, Pappy.

No comments:

Post a Comment