Thursday, July 14, 2016

River Hawke July 13

My daughter and two grandsons were at the cabin yesterday Wednesday, July 13 so I loaded the boys up and we went to the Caney in my River Hawke. The skies were partly cloudy and we got to the river at a few minutes before 11 o'clock, generation started at 11. This was the first time I have actually been in the river hawk while they were generating.  We started out fishing up around the dam the boys were using spinning rods and I was using my four weight flyrod, we only caught two fish both were rainbows about 12 inches long on a bead head soft hackle in it.  I tried Leach patterns but they didn't seem to work. So after about an hour or so we headed down river casting as we were going along without much luck, but we were mostly just seeing how the boat would do and the boys like the scenery.  We went to happy Hollow and even with one generation there were some areas in the river that we're still fairly shallow but we could see them out in front of us and there was no problem. We turned around and just motored  to the damn to see how long it would take and it was almost exactly 45 minutes, I thought it would take longer than that but that will be some good information to use next time I am out because with no generation there will be a whole lot of paddling if I'm going back towards the dam.  It was a great time spent with the kids and hopefully we can do it again next time they are in town from California. Until next time, Pappy.

No comments:

Post a Comment