Friday, August 19, 2016

The Longest Day

 Not that today would compare with the World War II movie, but today I spent more time on the water then I have probably in three years .   I got in the water at my normal spot at 6:15 and the fishing started out very slow, it was probably 20 minutes before I got my first trout, a 14" Rainbow, so I guess it was worth the wait.  I caught four or five more with one rainbow12 inches and then the generation started at 9 o'clock.  I stopped at the big rock market and got me a tenderloin sandwich and a Dr Pepper and proceeded to happy Hollow.   My best recollection is that I caught 3 while I was there until the water started rising at 10:45. I talked to a man and his son while I was there and we decided to go to the rest area, I was there for about 30 minutes and then the water started rising and I didn't have a single bite there. I then took my time and went back up to the steps and started again around 1 o'clock.  Since they have been running the sluice gate the water was still running about 1 foot high and at a pretty good pace.  I didn't catch anything until 145 I should have known that because the river is usually dead between 12 and 130.  My first fish was a fat 12 inch rainbow and then I called a few more and went to the house at 3:30.   I probably use more flies and talk more fish on more flies than I have in a long time so there wasn't any particular pattern that was working.  I think I will take the weekend off because I am wore out. Until next time,  Pappy.

No comments:

Post a Comment